Find out what to do if you are worried about becoming homeless.

Contact your council: You can apply to the council for help as a homeless person  if you don’t have anywhere to live. The council has to provide accommodation immediately while it makes enquiries into your situation.


Local councils have to give advice to people who are homeless or will be homeless soon. All councils should operate a 24-hour service for people in emergency situations and should publish an out-of-hours emergency number.

Use’s local council finder to find your local council’s website, or use our directory to find details of your local council’s housing department.


Find a local face-to-face adviser

An advice agency can tell you what emergency housing is available in your area and if you can get help from the council.

They may be able to refer you to a hostel or nightshelter.

Use advice services directory to find a face-to-face advice agency, such as Citizens Advice, in your area.

See if you’re eligible for free legal advice

For free, expert legal guidance call Civil Legal Advice on 0345 345 4 345.

You may be able to get help from their legal advisers if you qualify for legal aid. Have information about your income and savings handy so the adviser can tell you if you qualify.

Their advisers can tell you if the council has a duty to house you, and can help you challenge a decision made by the council.